The ideal candidate is, put simply, a stats nerd. You follow many different sports with fanatical passion, pore over results and check standings and schedules multiple times a day, know historical figures whose career achievements predate your birth, and can argue statistical minutiae with obsessive accuracy to make your case airtight. You have a keen eye for anomalies and records in sports and can generate the data analyses to back it up. Programming, databases, spreadsheets, statistics and data visualization are your indispensable tools, and you’ve got (at least) a dozen sports websites bookmarked as Favourites.
Ideally, you are also a dedicated and passionate fantasy sports team manager of several different franchises involving multiple sports that is seamlessly conducted entirely via the internet.
Is this role right for me?
To be perfect for this position, you will need to:
- Follow every sport we cover to analyze and update statistical databases on a daily basis;
- Search a huge (existing) database of historical sports data to find interesting trends in support of generating intriguing story angles, and identifying streaks and records;
- Respond to requests for information/analyses from various sources and be able to report those findings daily to Assignment Desk/Editor-in-Chief for use by writers and social media managers in a thorough and accurate way;
- Execute data-driven tasks such as exploratory data analysis, validation, data cleansing, and other information-gathering ideas and improvement initiatives;
- Respond to requests for stats/data from Editors or Writers from select major sports websites, and work with Chalk developers and data-mining specialists to gather and analyze the information;
- Utilize these results to contribute unique and exclusive copy to articles for major sports websites;
- Perform basic writing duties in support of Editorial team requirements.
What qualification do I need?
- University Degree in Mathematics, Statistics or Physics an asset. This role involves a lot of calculating;
- Strong working knowledge or previous experience with programming is essential. We use SQL and Python daily for our analyses although working knowledge in R as an alternative to Python is also acceptable. Experience with pandas, numpy and data visualization tools is considered an asset;
- Strong communication skills. You will be communicating with internal and external parties to understand and clarify requirements and deliver results to ad-hoc and scheduled analyses daily.
- Expert at accessing, interpreting and analyzing large datasets.
The Chalk Culture
At Chalk you will have the opportunity to work with brilliant, energetic co-workers where sports is key subject matter. The environment is culture-driven, with a casual work atmosphere where technology is revered. Chalk offers a competitive salary, great benefits plan, fitness allowance, and your preferred phone - Android or IOS. To be considered for this excellent career opportunity please forward your interest to: email@example.com
time to get chalk
Using the same engines for generating custom reports, the same monster databases of box scores, odds and player stats and the same commitment to editorial and programming excellence, Chalk has quickly carved a niche in the sports space.